The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When sinus headache is probably not a sinus....

3 posters

Go down

When sinus headache is probably not a sinus.... Empty When sinus headache is probably not a sinus....

Post  Cluelesskitty Thu 23 Feb 2012, 11:20 pm

Yesterday I watched one of my favorite TV shows
Dr. G: Medical Examiner
http://health.discovery.com/tv/dr-g-medical-examiner/

she is, as you can clearly see, a medical pathologist, and searches for clues in cases of sudden, unexplainable death.

In yesterday episode a woman from Australia was found dead on the floor of her sister's house
by her shocked sister, in the morning.
Foul play was suspected, along with natural causes.

The gathered oral medical history told Dr G that the deceased complained from "bad sinus headaches", among other things.
Now this here will be a spoiler, so if you plan to watch, please, beware.

This was the important clue, which later autopsy confirmed as the best clue
once the head was open - and as to why the lady have died, because it was the huge aneurysm in the brain
that finally has burst open and caused a massive hemorrhage, swelling and so on.
She was dead within minutes once that happened. Such a tragic, tragic story.

But what grabbed most my attention was the comment DR G made at the end re: sinus headaches the lady complained from.

She said "were they connected to the aneurysm? she doubt it, as many people have sinus headaches,
they are due to sinus infections or allergies".

Well I disagree.

We all know "sinus" pain is frequently mistaken for migraine pain, and in my book this is precisely what could have happened in this case.
If I am remembering correctly, people often experience severe headaches shortly before the stroke, don't they?
Surely having a huge "balloon" pressing somewhere in your brain would give you a headache, I suppose.

Knowing what we know about "sinus" pain, isn't it possible that the lady who passed away was, in fact experiencing
migraine pain from aneurysm? Just because it is located in the sinus area doesn't meant it is sinus. or allergies.

What is your opinion on this?

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

When sinus headache is probably not a sinus.... Empty Re: When sinus headache is probably not a sinus....

Post  Jewishmother Fri 24 Feb 2012, 10:45 am

I just know that it is hard for me to know the difference between sinus infections and migraines. I used to assume it was always sinus related pain but now I assume it is migraine and treat it accordingly. The doc couldn't always tell the difference also and I was tired of going on antibiotics so unless I have very clear symptoms of an infection like a fever I assume it is migraine.

Maybe the woman you are talking about was not having migraine pain but pain from the aneuryism that she thought was sinus pain.

Jewishmother
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

When sinus headache is probably not a sinus.... Empty Re: When sinus headache is probably not a sinus....

Post  Porsche Fan Sat 25 Feb 2012, 1:40 am

we get some nasty weather with some strong string of barometic pressure. typically i can tell a sinus-driven HA / infection due to (ok, sorry if gross):

1. ear wax changes
2. stabbing or tearing pain in one or both ears
3. changes in hearing
4. sino-nasial discharge being in non-liquidous chunks tan or pink tinged
5. severe headache without aura

if you see this stuff, talk to your family doc or ENT if you have one.

i'm battling one right now and following the ENT's steps.

if you feel a change in your hearing, call the doc ASAP.

it really is a tricky area to deal with. i know the weather that's come in for the last 8 hours, i'm going to get nailed by sinus changes.

good luck everyone.

mgb
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Sat 25 Feb 2012, 7:02 pm

See here - exactly guys - like I've said WE would know how to spot differences.

My point is, this was the DOCTOR who wouldn't know the head pain that was perceived as "sinus" could in fact
have been due to the aneurysm,

my theory being migraine pain often manifests as sinus pain,
so the lady could have had the headaches she thought if as "migraines" due to the aneurysm.
The doctor in the show said it wasn't related, I say yes it probably was.
She btw was taking a lot of aspirin for that.

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Sat 25 Feb 2012, 7:06 pm

Maybe the woman you are talking about was not having migraine pain but pain from the aneurysm that she thought was sinus pain.

My point precisely, J-Mom. I think this is what was happening, but since the lady had no idea she had an aneurysm
she had no idea she had "head pain" rather, either, that's why she thought she was having a "sinus pain".

Since we know how "sinus pain" can be easily mistook for migraines, and now how after the autopsy the lady was discovered
to die from the burst aneurysm,
I think we can speculate she was in fact suffering from migraine or migraine-like pain induced by aneurysm?

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down