The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SPG blocks- new migraine treatment...

3 posters

Go down

SPG blocks- new migraine treatment... Empty SPG blocks- new migraine treatment...

Post  Cluelesskitty Wed 01 Apr 2015, 6:07 pm

This is what is supposedly new, minimally invasive migraine treatment:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/290182.php

A new intranasal treatment for migraine has been found to lower use of pain-relief medication among 88% of patients in a retrospective analysis.

Hmm, I wonder how effective it will be. Anybody heard of this yet?

risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

SPG blocks- new migraine treatment... Empty Re: SPG blocks- new migraine treatment...

Post  sconesail Thu 02 Apr 2015, 5:46 pm

Hi,

Thanks for posting this article. It is very interesting.

When I first diagnosed at age 17, there were a few articles about using intranasal lidocaine for headaches. I know that both of parents- both retired physicians- looked into trying it. However, it was new at the time and so we didn't go that route. Also, the study then only looked at cluster headaches. Obviously, there has been a lot more research done on the subject. At the time, the doctors were simply using it like a nasal spray. The big difference is the fact that the medication is applied directly to the nerve.

Migraines are very difficult to treat and it is great to hear about anything that helps.

From what I have heard lately- the majority of current surgical options for migraine involve dealing directly with nerve pathways in the brain. Some work by decompressing the nerve, some are used to block pain signals or interrupt nerve signals.

Thanks for posting.

pain free days,
sconesail

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

SPG blocks- new migraine treatment... Empty Re: SPG blocks- new migraine treatment...

Post  Cluelesskitty Sun 05 Apr 2015, 1:27 pm

Thanks, Scone. so I gather you still haven't tried it yet? if you did, I would be interested how helpful was that.
Thanks for explaining about this treatment. I, too, thought it sounds familiar only I wasn't sure why.
I knew, of course lidocaine is used in dentistry but this wasn't it. Vaguely I remember something about it being used for M,
thanks to you  now I know how and when Smile

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Mon 06 Apr 2015, 7:35 pm

Risa- I've gotten a trigger point injection, with a steroid and lidocaine into neck muscles that were tense to the point of causing a migraine. The lidocaine was there to help with the injection pain, and to give some relief while the steroid kicked in. They help some, but only I'd the oral muscle relaxers are quite enough

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Mon 06 Apr 2015, 10:58 pm

Thanks, Scone Smile

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down