The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Having good success with Cymbalta

+3
Migrainegirl
milo
Paradox
7 posters

Go down

Having good success with Cymbalta Empty Having good success with Cymbalta

Post  Paradox Mon 11 Jul 2011, 7:09 pm

I think I mentioned awhile back that I was having good luck with antidepressant Cymbalta. I wanted to give a more thorough report now that I've been on it three months. The first month I took 30 mg at bedtime, then moved up to 60 mg at bedtime.

My head feels great. I would say I've gone from 15-20 Ms a month to 7-9. And they are much milder. They are easily handled by the narcotics I take for my back. It's been well over a month since I left work because of my head. And it's been VERY stressful at work. Had to fire a 16 year employee for insubordination, ran for the Board of a new entity that covers 1/2 of my State and over 525 individual entities, and even got my courage up and ran for Vice President against three others and won! Two years ago I had to drop out of all my committees at work because my head wouldn't let me do it.

I am sleeping very well at night..well, good for me. I still get up 4-5 times a night, BUT I am able to fall right back asleep. I think this has much to do with my Ms improving.

In the past I have tried elavil, pail, zoloft, wellbuterin, and one other (gone blank) with absolutely no success. Ironically we tried the Cymbalta to help with my lower back pain. In that aspect it hasn't helped on iota. But I will take the headache relief in a heartbeat! cheers

I've actually lost a couple pounds. Not from the med, cymbalta is weight neutral, no gain or loss, but I'm feeling better so I'm not comfort eating as much.

As I said the Ms I do get are mild, and I'm one of the lucky ones who has a Dr who looks at us as individuals and doesn't say "rebound" or "MOH" to all his migraine sufferers so I do take daily narcotics (for lower back and head).

It's nice, I'm crying less and laughing more, having less pain in my head and having no side effects at all. Can't beat that! bounce bounce
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Having good success with Cymbalta Empty Re: Having good success with Cymbalta

Post  milo Mon 11 Jul 2011, 7:32 pm

That is AWESOME news!!!!!!
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:05 pm

So glad it is working for you! I could not take it due to side effects, but it's always great to hear someone who gets relief from one of these things. And congrats on your election. It's great to be able to do things like that.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Jewishmother Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:48 pm

Best news of the day! Thanks for the update! L

Jewishmother
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Tue 12 Jul 2011, 1:49 am

That is great, and I am so happy for you!
btw- congratulations on your many achievements, Charlotte! wow, you are busy as a bee! :]

As I said the Ms I do get are mild, and I'm one of the lucky ones who has a Dr who looks at us as individuals and doesn't say "rebound" or "MOH" to all his migraine sufferers so I do take daily narcotics (for lower back and head).

You are living proof that the rebound theory is but an easy scapegoat escape route for the drs with us, nothing more or less.
Just look at you!

Risa

Last edited by Cluelesskitty on Tue 12 Jul 2011, 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Tue 12 Jul 2011, 5:06 am

Yeah! So good to hear some success stories. Hope it continues.
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue 12 Jul 2011, 1:41 pm

Ah, but Risa dear, I had to go through four months of misery to "prove it". Four months of no OTC, no nothing but dark rooms, sunglasses and ice packs.

But, on the other hand, it got me to a treatment that works for me, which unfortunately is a opioid regime. Never thought this is where I'd be. As we all know, ALL drugs have side effects. But, I can deal with these side effects and I have MY LIFE BACK.

My neuro was so thrilled that I'm going on vacation. Hubby and I have NEVER gone on vacation alone. When the kids we little, well, we couldn't afford too. Then my health got to bad. Now, Florida here I come.
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Wed 13 Jul 2011, 12:09 am

Ah, but Risa dear, I had to go through four months of misery to "prove it". Four months of no OTC, no nothing but dark rooms, sunglasses and ice packs.

yes, isn't that awful that it's not enough to be sick, we need to be tortured to prove we are just sick...

I am so sorry in order to get what you simply need, you had to go thru all this crap, Charlotte!

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Sat 16 Jul 2011, 6:26 am

I am super delighted to hear this Smile

Anna's Mom
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sun 31 Jul 2011, 9:38 pm

Migrainegirl,

Do you have a tried other antidepressants? I absolutely can't do tricyclics. I tried so many with bad results and then found this by accident. Weird.
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Mon 01 Aug 2011, 12:03 pm

It's so great to hear about your success!
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Tue 02 Aug 2011, 5:09 pm

The Cymbalta did not work for me as gave me a really bad case of restless leg syndrome. They would be going like crazy until 2-3 in the morning. Drove me crazy and did nothing for the headaches as of course I wasn't sleeping well.

Amitryptiline at a low dosage (20 mg) seems to have helped. It makes me sleepy, about 9-10 hours at night now, although that is not all bad. I recently tried to go off it, but after 2 weeks of being headachy and not being able to sleep at night, I relented and went back on it.

I believe I tried Nortriptaline at one point and that did nothing to help. They are all different.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down