The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone used the "lollipop" for severe pain?

+3
Anna's Mom
steph
30yrsofheadache
7 posters

Go down

Anyone used the "lollipop" for severe pain? Empty Anyone used the "lollipop" for severe pain?

Post  30yrsofheadache Wed 13 Apr 2011, 5:52 am

I hesitate to call this by name, but anyone who has used it will know. I have tried all the strongest pain meds to stay out of the ER, but have been less successful lately. I seem to be getting more vomiting with migraine, so pills dont work well. I have been using these meds (with Phenergan ) for many years at pretty much the same dose, so its not the meds. Anyway, my Dr. is trying the "Lollipops" as a last resort. I am a little nervous about it and just wondered who else has tried this. Thanks for your help!
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Anyone used the "lollipop" for severe pain? Empty Re: Anyone used the "lollipop" for severe pain?

Post  steph Wed 13 Apr 2011, 11:39 am

Is this the fentanyl lollipop? I didn't use those but used to have fentanyl patches. I would have rather had the lollipops I think!
steph
steph
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Anyone used the "lollipop" for severe pain? Empty Re: Anyone used the "lollipop" for severe pain?

Post  30yrsofheadache Wed 13 Apr 2011, 1:49 pm

Steph, yes, that is it. Can you tell me about your experience with the patch? I am worried because there was so much in the insert about not using it for pain that is short term and migraine. I am on a very small dose of narcotic daily for pain from Lyme. I usually dont take more than 1 percocet daily unless I have migraine also. However during the worst of my monthly bout of migraine, I have to resort to Dilaudid. I am hoping that the form of the lollipop will make it more easily absorbed. I do need to take Phenergan with the dilaudid.I am thinking I would need to take it with this new med also?
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Wed 13 Apr 2011, 4:27 pm

Cindy, I think if there is a limit to them, it would be ok. Like as an occasional rescue med.

This isn't what you are talking about, but I've known too many people who have ramped up on Duragesic along with Actiq or Fentora. They have to keep going up and up and up on the doses of both. Finally they hit a maximum, they are still in terrible pain, and there's nowhere to go. It seems to me the people I know who have tried both meds at once develop a vicious tolerance to them.

My personal belief is if you get good pain relief with Duragesic, and if you don't have to keep rapidly increasing the dose, that would be ok.

If you can do occasional rescue doses of Actiq or Fentora and not have to increase the doses per month, I think that would be ok.

Just what I feel about it, from hearing lots of personal stories.

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Wed 13 Apr 2011, 5:50 pm

Cheryl, thanks for the advice. I dont use the patch and hopefully wont need to. My pain comes mostly for 10-14 days with my cycle. Lately the pain is getting really bad at the end of that time. So, I use a combo of Amerge, Midrin, Percocet and Phenergan (not all at once) depending on the pain level.

Then, ususlly twice during that time, I resort to a single dose of Dilaudid. I have a lot of Addiction issues in my family, so I am very careful with not using too much. I have had to raise the dose to get the same results, but not beyond what my doc allows. So, I would only use it to stay out of the Er once a month. I will have to try to decide when to take it though. I do worry about having no where to turn, if I have a real emergency.Do people say it is effective?

How are you and Anna doing? I hope your upcoming trip is productive.
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Wed 13 Apr 2011, 6:34 pm

After seven months of weaning, she is off pain meds now. And pretty miserable, I must say. But it is what we must do to see if her pain drops down. Hopefully Ketamine will help.

Cindy, I think what you are talking about sounds very reasonable. I do think it is very strong. Anna never tried the suckers, so I can't give you personal experience. But you don't have to consume the whole sucker, which is a nice aspect to them.

If I were you, I'd keep them hidden and very locked up. Not because of your kids, but because of others. I think of people who work in pharmacies who have access to knowing what people take.

A girl I work with--her mother found one day that all her Fentanyl patches had been stolen without her knowing it for a while. It was incredibly hard to get them replaced when she is on Medicare. She has no idea who did it, but she doesn't think it was her kids.

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed 13 Apr 2011, 7:07 pm

I used the patch when I was in the hospital and while I got adequate pain relief it made me VERY nervous. I guess they are notorious for the glue not sticking. Mine kept coming undone and the nurse would put more tape on it.

Plus, initially it takes up to eight hours to get into your blood system. Well, when you're in that much pain you can't wait that long for relief. But then you start to wonder..

They asked if I wanted some patches to go home with. I said NO!

I think for what you want the lollipop sounds ideal. Using it only once a month wont land you in the tolerance ring around.

Also, That's what I don't like about my pain meds. Once I start throwing up they are useless.

Good luck!
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed 13 Apr 2011, 7:41 pm

Yes, I think the lollipop would be much easier on your stomach and less of a problem if you vomit, as you will be absorbing it into your mucous membranes rather then swallowing.

It's funny though, I thought you were talking about pot lollipops. lol
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  steph Wed 13 Apr 2011, 9:36 pm

It has been a while, I started on a low dose of the patch and went up. It just wasn't the right medication for me. I was ill, as in throwing up from it. I didn't even have to taper off because it wasn't all that long, and the second dosing wasn't all that high. ( I had the same reaction to methadone as well. Took them back to back, and lost 30lbs!) I didn't mind the patch. I didn't have problems with the glue, but I do have sensitive skin and it left glue marks!

I took Oxycontin for 2 years and I never had to increase my dose of that. I had 5mg oxycodone for break through pain, and phenergan & benadryl injections. I think the phenergan would help with nausea, however, it sometimes takes a while if you are taking a pill. One of my challenges has always been what I call 'mode of transportation', where in sometimes a pill is ok, other times it only seems to make a difference if it is an injection or IV and (unfortunately) I have even tried the suppository route.

I definitely would not advertise that you have the suckers. I was kind of nervous with the fentanyl, methadone, oxycontin, and anything else I have. I think that it is worth a try! One thing I always do, ALWAYS, when trying a new med, it try it when I am not in the absolute worst pain. I do this just to see what kind of side effects I may have. I certainly don't want to take the medication when I am completely laid out and be wondering what the hell is wrong with me when I begin to feel something odd. Just one of my things I guess!! Keep us posted!!

Wait, you mentioned your cycle...is it your headache cycle or your menustral cycle? I take a pill where I have only 4 periods a year. I started it to rule out the migraine/menustral cycle correlation. anyway, just wondering.
steph
steph
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Thu 14 Apr 2011, 4:35 am

Thanks, Cheryl. Yes, I am nervous about having them here. No one knows except my husband and my Mom. I do have a safe to keep them in. Not too worried about the pharmacy. It is a small one and I know all the employees. But still, you never know. We do have 2 big barky dogs, so it would be difficult to get in our house. I am so sorry Anna is in such pain still. How long does she have to stay off the meds? Anna is in my prayers every day.
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Thu 14 Apr 2011, 4:44 am

Thanks, Charlotte. I would be nervous about using this med on a long term basis. I am hoping for worst emergency basis it will work.I will let everyone know how they work. Hopefully, I wont need it soon! Actually My period is unusually late which is a blessing since I have to drive 4 hours to Zoes college on Friday and back on Saturday. Hope I can keep up with the activities!
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Thu 14 Apr 2011, 4:57 am

Steph, Thanks for all the info. I will not tell anyone about having the meds for sure.I'm sorry the patch didnt work for you. It is so discouraging when something with promise doesnt work out. As far as the mode of transpot, I am the same. Sometimes I have to go the ER to get an IV of the same meds I have at home.

Then I sleep deeply (most of the time) and wake up feeling better. Last month I tried the phenergan suppository. HA! I vomited almost immediatly. My body did not like that mode of transport at all. Most of my migraines come around my menstrual cycle. I would say about 90%. I have a very bad 7-14 days and then, not too bad.

When I first starting getting migraines at 13, it was one day/month. It got worse after I contracted Lyme disease and has progressed to this. I am 51, so the pill is out! I am hoping nature will help me out soon. I will try to take the first dose before it gets too bad, but this is my main dilemma. Do I try the dilaudid first? how long after that do I wait? and, will it work if I wait too long? I guess I will jjust have to play it by ear. I told my husband he will have to watch me after I try it the first time. He is not the best caregiver.
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  steph Thu 14 Apr 2011, 12:58 pm

One thing I hate about migraine medication is it is always a crapshoot!! If I take it now, is it too soon? Should I wait? What if I wait too long? It is a constant stress on us trying to decide what to do!! For me, when I feel it starting, I take half of my pill, (unless it hits hard and fast) then I give it about 30min and if I need to I add Ibuprofen. I know that sounds dumb, but for me it seems to help the medication. Strange. Then if I need to a while later, I will take the other half. I always think though, should I just take the whole pill???

Many times that answer can lie in what I have been doing, exposed to, or am going to do. If I have been cleaning, I know it is probably the cleaning solution bringing it on and I just take the whole pill...it is just a gamble though. I have learned that with a new med, it takes time to figure out your self-imposed "rules" of use! Smile That sounded really funny to me as I wrote it! It is true though, most migraine sufferers that are contientious of their situation and medications create guidelines when it come to usage! I do, and just from being on sites like this I have learned that I am not the only one!! Let us know how it goes!!! Exclamation
steph
steph
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Thu 14 Apr 2011, 8:32 pm

Thank you for your prayers, Cindy.

The long and short of it--Anna has been on daily pain meds since 2003. It was started by a good neuro who thought he could get her functional by doing that. It never worked, and several doctors have been involved now (good docs). It got to an unbelievable level.

But during the past six years, there were new discoveries regarding her condition (Chiari, high intracranial pressure, CSF leaks due to surgical procedures). We thought if these conditions were "fixed," she would get better. It was more than just dealing with migraine disease.

But we all came to a point (doctors included) where we knew going up and up on pain meds was never going too be the answer. It didn't matter how far things were pushed. Her tolerance only increased, and we never caught up to the pain. Not for even one day in eight years. Never one day of pain relief--only a few hours here and there. Not enough to justify pain management any more.

She is a case of total failure in pain management. So we all made the big decision seven months ago to wean her off. It has taken that long.

The intrathecal pain pump is an option for her. But it would only require about 2% of what she ever took to achieve some success, according the the pain pump doc. The meds would go directly into her spinal fluid. He said she will never get pain free with the pump. The 2% sounds good, but I'm not very anxious to put another hole in her spinal cord dura (for the pain pump catheter) at this point because we aren't 100% positive she does not still have a CSF leak.

So we're going to Dr. Krusz soon, trying Ketamine again, and then we'll think about going back to Duke to get some closure on the possible CSF leak issue. That is the best place to get evaluated for leaks.

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Sat 16 Apr 2011, 7:35 am

Hi All,

I tried the "lollipops" for migraine pain relief. They really didn't work well at all for me- very little pain relief, and it was extremely short. The patches didn't help much either. I once would up in the ER for a bad migraine when I was on the fentanyl suckers. I asked the doctor about a dose of that instead of another narcotic before I left. He told me that "fentanyl was a really short acting medication in IV or sucker form and that he would be glad to give it, but he didn't think it would help." So he gave morphine instead, put a note in my chart. I called my neuro who switched me to Morphine, which worked a lot better.

I hope they help you, though.

Pain free days,
sailingm

sailingmuffin
new
new

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Sat 16 Apr 2011, 4:10 pm

Hi Sailingmuffing,
and welcome to The Fabulous Migraine Underworld!

What form of morphine are you on now, is it Dilaudid? if I may ask?

And Cheryl - I weep for Anna.
Men stood on the Moon, but can't help your child to control the pain.
I weep, and pray someday they'll be able to do something for Anna.

I am enraged when I think how much money goes into CEOs, VIPs and other 'fat cats Madoff" pockets,
how little into so much needed medical research!

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Sat 16 Apr 2011, 6:38 pm

Thanks, Sailing. That is really my worst fear. I only seem to respond to IV or IM meds at that point. Luckily, havent gotten to that point yet since I got them. I dread it. I did make it through my trip to W&M today with Zoe. Only because my period is late and it kept me out of the awful week. I only had to take 1 Amerge and it was cloudy and a little rainy. Usually a very bad combo for me. We had a great time. I think she will fit in perfectly there.
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Sat 16 Apr 2011, 9:14 pm

Cindy, I apologize if I asked already and you've replied, my memory is terrible these days.

But have you tried taking your triptan of choice together with painkiller, and repeat until M subsides?

At my worst M it takes on average up to 8-10hrs for M to pass or at least lessen to level 1-2 with
the triptan -painkiller combo.
I'll take it over ER trip any day.

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Sun 17 Apr 2011, 5:13 am

Risa, Thats OK, my memory is awful, too. My problem is that my migraines usually are with my period and before and after. This usually takes about 8-14 days. Then it is just gone and I have few migraines in between. At the start they are not too bad and can usually be dealt with by taking a triptan alone. By the end I am taking a triptan and a painkiller.

After that I stop taking triptan and go to painkiller and Phenergan. Many times I have thought it is a medication overuse issue. But, I have put myself through the misery of no meds several times or only one kind, etc. No difference. They last the same amount of time. I think it is the last gasp of hormones.
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Mon 18 Apr 2011, 12:26 am

I think, too it's hormonal.
Especially now that you've proved it.

I wonder if it would help if you did what my former neuro told me to do for my menstrual M:
~ starting one week before my period I was to take one Rx strength naproxen sodium in the morning daily,

on an empty stomach. (since I had a stomach problem I was also given something for the stomach protection as well)
Then continue thru the entire period, then two to three days after it has ended.
The n-s, since it it NSAID, was mainly to reduce the release of prostaglandins which somehow supposedly cause the M pain.

On top of that I was supposed to take triptans and my regular pain meds, as per need.

Perhaps you can talk about this "preventive" therapy with your dr?
try to work it into your regular triptan/painkiller/phenergan regime?

I checked if Phenergan interact with triptans, and it doesn't seem so.
Still, better be safe and double check with your dr and/or pharmacist.

http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/promethazine,phenergan.html
http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down