The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anti-Inflammatories: can they TRIGGER migraine?

+3
Angela
milo
Topix
7 posters

Go down

Anti-Inflammatories: can they TRIGGER migraine? Empty Anti-Inflammatories: can they TRIGGER migraine?

Post  Topix Tue 02 Nov 2010, 7:40 am

Hi,
I have stopped trying anti-inflammatories (OTC and non OTC) because none of them has ever touched my migraines.
Only indomethacine has proved to be effective, but it has so many side-effects and its duration is so limited (4/5 hours) that I have given up.

Last month, I had a horrible lumbar pain and my GP prescribed ketoprofene. It did wonders for my back, but triggered me a horrible migraine. I did not connect my attack to ketoprofene, but last week I had back pain so I took it. Again, my back felt great in 30 minutes, but it triggered me a bad migraine that I could not easily abort.
Now I have the doubt that also other molecules may have triggered migraine in the past.
Topix
Topix
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Anti-Inflammatories: can they TRIGGER migraine? Empty Re: Anti-Inflammatories: can they TRIGGER migraine?

Post  milo Tue 02 Nov 2010, 9:45 am

I definately can get migraines triggered by anti-inflammatories as well. I can get triggered by quite a few medications.

Most recently I found one that doesn't trigger my head but helps with non-heacache pain. It's called tridural.
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Anti-Inflammatories: can they TRIGGER migraine? Empty Re: Anti-Inflammatories: can they TRIGGER migraine?

Post  Angela Tue 02 Nov 2010, 9:58 am

milo wrote:I definately can get migraines triggered by anti-inflammatories as well. I can get triggered by quite a few medications.

Most recently I found one that doesn't trigger my head but helps with non-heacache pain. It's called tridural.

is tridural an OTC? or docs presciption?

By the way, I discovered recently that a triptan and T-3's = 4 hours of pain until the Triptan works. So I tossed in 3 Ibuprophens to that and it's a nice combo until the Triptans work.

Now I take 3 Ibuprophens, 2 T3's and 1 Imitrex and it aborts the Migraine

Also, I had a lot less migraines last month and it was because I had a bad toothache. I was popping Ibuprohens all day almost everyday. I'm considering using Ibuprophens as a preventative.

Has anyone tried that with success?

Anj

Angela
Angela
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue 02 Nov 2010, 3:33 pm

I use vicroprofen rather than vicoden because the ibuprofen in it does SO much better with my head than the acetaminophen in the vicoden. Luckily I don't have tum tum issues ( knock on wood) so I'm able to take it daily.
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed 03 Nov 2010, 7:33 pm

That's another problem for me with ibuprophen. It used to be the medication I used successfully to solve my headaches, but now it causes too much stomache upset and no longer works on my head. It's a shame.

I was told to start taking it by the ER doctor yesterday to help with my bleed and it's got my stomache nice and upset.

The tridural is by script. It's fairly new in Canada, so many docs have samples.
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jwar Fri 10 Dec 2010, 1:08 pm

Have you tried Indocin SA (slow acting)? It takes about 60-75 minutes to kick in, so I generally take tylenol or midrin at the same time, but after it kicks in I get a solid 10-12 hours of pain relief. It might be worth checking out.

I've never had an anti-inflammatory TRIGGER a migraine, per se, but whenever I get a shot of Toradol I am almost guaranteed to have a bad rebound when it wears off.

jwar
new
new

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Tue 21 Dec 2010, 6:27 pm

I'm on tordal right now for the leg and it's no triggering my head but my stomach is on total strike! I've been taking prilosec with it to ease it...ouch.
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Sat 26 Mar 2011, 12:06 pm

I always wondered why doctors prescribe Indocin as a daily preventative (when it is an anti-inflammatory). Couldn't that cause "rebound?"

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Fri 08 Apr 2011, 8:08 am

Ibuprofen triggers migraines for me. However, toradol usually helps to some degree. I take toradol usually three days per week (the limit set by my doctor).
tecky
tecky
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down