The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I have a diagnosis

3 posters

Go down

I have a diagnosis Empty I have a diagnosis

Post  lentils Fri 05 Aug 2011, 10:16 am

I went to see a psychiatrist last month and based on what I told him he has diagnosed me with bipolar II. When I was in Australia I participated in an online study that was a series of questions that enabled the researcher to chart moods. I've done this for over 2 years and looking at the chart there is a clear and predictable pattern of highs and lows. I believe that all of my migraines occur during the lows, but I can't confirm it because I lost my journal. The psychiatrist has me on 100 mgs of topamax, but I recently stopped taking it. I can't explain why very well but I think I miss the highs and topamax doesn't help with the lows very much. Right now I'm taking a low dose of diamox at the first sign of a migraine and neurontin.

lentils
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

I have a diagnosis Empty Re: I have a diagnosis

Post  milo Fri 05 Aug 2011, 9:16 pm

Did you stop taking your topamax slowly? I'd be worried with going up or down too quickly if you might have a mood disorder (well, actually, even without that possibility really)

How do you feel about this diagnosis? Do you agree with it?
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sun 07 Aug 2011, 3:58 pm

Yes, Lentils, how do you feel about the diagnosis?

I was also diagnosed as bipolar, while on Topamax. Much heartache later it turned out I was not bipolar at all, I was having a reaction to the topamax.

When I was finally taken off ALL the psychiatric meds they had put me on I was fine. Ask people who are close to you and will give you an honest opinion what they feel. I was so snowed by all the meds they put me on I could no longer advocate for myself.

Good luck.
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

I have a diagnosis Empty diagnosis

Post  lentils Mon 08 Aug 2011, 9:30 am

At first I was skeptical, Bipolar II does not have manic highs and I'm not too concerned with the label. I did know that I had periodic depressions and that the migraines seemed to be related to the moods in some way. There is no denying what is on the chart, it shows highs followed by lows. Before the topamax it was in a steady pattern, the pattern changed when I started taking topamax. I'll see if I can get the chart posted.

lentils
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Mon 08 Aug 2011, 6:04 pm

When I was diagnosed, I was extremely skeptical. 46 yoa and no symptoms other than mild depression.

My problem occurred when I went psychotic on Topamax, and I was diagnosed bipolar, NO ONE took me off the topamax! Instead they started adding antipsychotics to the mix. When one didn't work they would add another. Not take me off anything, mind you, just add more. At the end of two years I was on topamax, geodon, seroquel, depakote, Xanax,....eleven total. And I was out of my mind. Panic attacks so bad I couldn't go grocery shopping (never had them before), a frozen shoulder from hugging myself, very close to suicide.

Finally after two years my work said "do something or your job is gone". I went to a new Dr who took me off everything (this happened over five days in a locked psych ward. They were afraid of suicide and seizures. It was a scary place to be). That's when I went through my drug holiday. When I got out I was afraid to touch anything.

Lo and behold I wasn't bipolar. I do have mild depression but neuro says many of us with chronic pain do.

Just use this as a cautionary tale. We are all so different and I know folks for whom topamax is a miracle drug. And bipolar II may absolutely be the right diagnosis for you, migraines and bipolar seem to go hand in hand. I just wanted you to be aware that it could be side effects and not to lose sight of yourself and your personality. Pay close attention to what your friends and family notice.

Good luck and many hugs. I love you

Last edited by Paradox on Mon 08 Aug 2011, 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added info)
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Mon 08 Aug 2011, 7:45 pm

Wise advice. Smile
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down