The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long work hours on the computer

3 posters

Go down

Long work hours on the computer Empty Long work hours on the computer

Post  milo Mon 15 Aug 2011, 8:39 pm

Hi all. I need some suggestions. Quite a few of you know I'm at a new position. It's got me spending a full work day in front of a computer rather then what I used to do.

Anyone have suggestions on how to not trigger a migraine while logging a full day in front of the screen?????
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Long work hours on the computer Empty Re: Long work hours on the computer

Post  Paradox Tue 16 Aug 2011, 7:51 am

This is something I struggled with for years. Its not as bad since I got a MacBook. Can't tell you what's different about the screen but it's made a difference. A couple of my databases have to run off Windows so I have virtual windows installed on it too so I can use it all.

Take frequent breaks.
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Tue 16 Aug 2011, 5:28 pm

Milo

I struggle with this too as I'm in front of the computer all day, every day.
Here are some suggestions.

(1) Make sure your workstation is ergonomically adjusted for you. You should be looking straight ahead at the middle of the screen, have a good lumbar supporting chair, feet flat on the floor or on a little foot support if you are short, your elbow should be at right angle on the mouse - not reaching up at odd angle, supporting your forearm. See http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-an-Ergonomically-Correct-Workstation

(2) Many people are bothered by the update rate on the screen. You can adjust this in the control panel.

(3) You can also adjust the screen resolution. With a lower resolution, the icons and text will be larger and you will be less likely to be craning your neck towards the screen which causes me no end of problems.

(4) If overhead Flourescents give you a problem, ask to have them turned off over your workstation.

(5) Most important - get up and move around and do stretches at least once per hour. This is the thing we forget most and then wonder why we are all stiff and sore and getting a headache.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Tue 16 Aug 2011, 6:55 pm

Thank you very much!

I was beginning to think I may have to give this new job up. I then figured out that I'm onoy two weeks away from my nerve blocks and botox injections. Thank goodness..because I really would hate to give up this job.
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down