The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When migraines impact your work

5 posters

Go down

When migraines impact your work Empty When migraines impact your work

Post  milo Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:41 pm

I know I am lucky to have been able to keep a job despite the migraine monster. I am fortunate also for getting so far in my return to school, though my last three credits have required a medical extension and I'm desperate to get that over with.

I have found myself in a situation where I have been offered a promotion. This promotion would see me have more responsibility and a change in hours. I would also have much less control over the stimuli in my work environment including scents.

A chance like this should be so exciting but I'm just petrified of walking into a new workplace full of perfumes. I'd also have a considerably longer commute, which could impact my neck issues. It is so sad to me that my migraines play such a huge role in my decision. I feel ripped off.
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

When migraines impact your work Empty Re: When migraines impact your work

Post  tortoisegirl Fri 25 Jul 2014, 6:02 am

Sorry you are facing this tough decision. I too have had quite a few issues with my headache condition & work. I've kept it from everyone so I don't get any assistance in that area (but nor do I have to worry about what they think or if they treat me different). I currently have a long commute and its pretty brutal. I don't do well working overtime...a 40 hour week is challenging enough. Hang in there! Best wishes.

tortoisegirl
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  7777Trinity Fri 25 Jul 2014, 9:27 am

Milo
If a promotion actually increases the risk of more migraines, I might address each issue with your employer. The first one would be scents and other stimuli, would it be possible to have a private office where these are forbidden in your office?

As far as the longer commute, can this position be done where you currently are or perhaps even from home splitting the days say half the time at home and the other half at your "private office" ?

If none of this can happen, you might graciously decline the promotion explaining the migraine triggers.

Just my thoughts!
Trinity
7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sat 26 Jul 2014, 4:53 am

Milo, that is exciting that you have this opportunity. It means that despite your migraines and going to school you have been able to perform very well indeed! So bravo for you. You should be proud of yourself regardless of what you decide to do.

With regard to the position, why do you think you would be subjected to perfumes? If it is a more supervisory role couldn't you just request that people not wear perfume to the office? I can't imagine someone ignoring that kind of request from their supervisor. Most workplaces are quite conscious about ADA these days and work to accommodate reasonable requests which would include simple things like lighting and scents.

If it is a position with the public, or going to customer sites, however, it's quite difficult to control for that. You might want to have a frank discussion with you boss if you think it's not the right position for you, but perhaps laying out what sort of career growth you would like to see. In other words, don't just turn the job down (indicating lack of ambition). Turn it into an opportunity to say you think this other direction would be a much better path for your skills, interests etc....

Either way, it's great you are being considered.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Sun 03 Aug 2014, 2:32 am

Milo,

I think that you should try to the best of your abilities.  Discuss with your management the modifications that you may need for your to be a success in your job.  It probably requires some minor changes or adaptations.  The important part is the organization recognizes your skills--and they should be willing to help you meet at least in the middle for both of you to maximize on the opportunity.

Good luck,
MGB
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Sun 10 Aug 2014, 11:40 am

Thanks friends. I initially declined but am now in discussions again. I decided to not let fear drive my decision. I have no idea if I will gat a second offer, but I am open to it if I do. Thanks for the support!
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down